Chipotle Bean Burger
I have been told by many that this is one of the best veggie burgers that they have ever had! 🔥🔥🔥 Be sure to serve it with the hummus. I include my homemade recipe below, but store bought will also do just fine.
- 1 medium sweet potato (1 ½ cups roasted)
- ½ onion, diced and sautéed
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 3 Tbsp tahini paste
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup oat flour
Note: May sub oat flour for 50:50 mix of all-purpose & whole wheat flour.
- Roast sweet potato in oven at 400F for 40-60 minutes or until soft. Let cool, and leave oven set to 400F.
- While your potato is baking, sauté onions in a bit of oil until translucent and soft, alternatively you can dry-sauté if avoiding oil.
- If you do not have oat flour, you can use a food processor to grind old fashioned (rolled) or oats into a powder.
- In a large bowl, add the black beans and partially mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Add the rest of the burger ingredients to the bowl and mash everything together.
- Form mixture into medium size burger patties, do not make them overly thick. I use a 3 and 1/2 inch ring mold to shape the patties. Aside from making them look good, this does help the burgers cook uniformly and it results in a better patty. If you do not want to bother with ring molds though, just use your hands!
- Spray a lined baking tray with a little oil to prevent sticking. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes. Do not flip the burgers.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with store bought or homemade hummus & your favorite toppings. I included a basic hummus recipe below.
*Note- I like to double this recipe. Burger patties can be frozen & reheated in an oven or microwave.
Serve with store bought or homemade hummus, sliced tomato, green leaf lettuce, & ketchup. Hummus recipe below:
- 1 can cooked chickpeas, drained
- Juice from ¾ of a lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 clove fresh garlic, diced
- Paprika, for garnishing
- ½ tsp sea salt, more or less to taste
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and add a splash of water, blend. If the mixture is too thick continue adding splashes of water until mixture is a thick, smooth paste. Blend the mixture for at least 1 minute to ensure that it is smooth. At this point, taste to see if you'd like to add more salt. Whether or not your canned chickpeas contained salt will determine how much additional salt that you need to add. If you add additional salt blend for 10 more seconds.
*Note- Fresh garlic and lemon juice make a big difference with flavor.
Link to my favorite budget food processor:
Now selling all natural vegan soaps and soy candles, click to browse!